Flat 1 is unlike most of the flats at Waterlow Court.
Because the first residents shared a communal dining area when the building was opened in 1909, there was no need for the flats to have large kitchens and many of the flats still, over a hundred years later, suffer from small kitchens. Potential buyers often complain of this.
Flat 1, however, is different.
When Waterlow Court changed purpose and the need for a porter become unnecessary, and, more importantly, before the building was assigned Grade II* listing, flat 1 was extended to incorporate the porter’s bedroom and office and the layout flipped thereby creating a much larger kitchen and dining area, opening up a much larger contiguous space with the reception.
And what used to be the kitchen is now a walk-through lobby, providing vital storage space and freeing up other space.